[NUT-devel] a few things about nut.txt

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Sun Nov 26 09:17:45 CET 2006

On Sun, Nov 26, 2006 at 05:37:25AM -0000, Måns Rullgård wrote:

> >> i dont think this is true, maybe someone who knows the details about subs
> >> in mpeg-ps/ts could clarify but my suspicion is that there are rules in the
> >> relevant specs which ensure that the correct subs are displayed after
> >> seeking, and most other containers which support subs have an index ...
> >
> > I'm quite sure mpeg-ps/ts make no provision for this.
>
> The ISO MPEG PS/TS specs do not mention any subtitles.  The DVD and DVB specs
> add their own subtitle formats to PS and TS, respectively.

Well, do they provide any mechanism to ensure that you have the
correct subtitle displayed after seeking?

> As for timestamp resets, you can't avoid them when broadcasting 24/7, unless
> you have infintely large timestamp fields.

64bit is long enough to run without problem until well past the end of
the solar system... provided you don't choose timebase idiotically. :)
Unfortunately I think mpeg uses 33bit or something and also uses
idiotic timebase.

Rich