[NUT-devel] a few things about nut.txt

Måns Rullgård mru at inprovide.com
Sun Nov 26 17:28:28 CET 2006

Rich Felker said:

>> have

>> > I'm quite sure mpeg-ps/ts make no provision for this.
>>
>> The ISO MPEG PS/TS specs do not mention any subtitles.  The DVD and DVB specs
>> add their own subtitle formats to PS and TS, respectively.
>
> Well, do they provide any mechanism to ensure that you have the
> correct subtitle displayed after seeking?

DVB doesn't care about seeking at all.  That is a problem for recorders to solve
as they see fit.  I'm not sure about DVD, and quite frankly, I don't care.  If
the subtitles for the first line of dialog after a seek are missing, so what?

>> As for timestamp resets, you can't avoid them when broadcasting 24/7, unless
>> you have infintely large timestamp fields.
>
> 64bit is long enough to run without problem until well past the end of
> the solar system... provided you don't choose timebase idiotically. :)
> Unfortunately I think mpeg uses 33bit or something and also uses
> idiotic timebase.

Why is the MPEG time base idiotic?  90kHz is nicely divisible by all the allowed
frame rates.

--
Måns Rullgård
mru at inprovide.com