[FFmpeg-devel] VDD 2023, FFmpeg meeting notes, (23-11-2023, 4pm, Dublin)

Ronald S. Bultje rsbultje at gmail.com
Sun Sep 24 18:10:00 EEST 2023

Hi,

On Sun, Sep 24, 2023 at 1:40 PM Marton Balint <cus at passwd.hu> wrote:

> On Sun, 24 Sep 2023, Kyle Swanson wrote:
> > DNS
> > ---
> >
> > -   Currently the DNS of ffmpeg.org is managed by Fabrice
> > -   Michael was asked if he has control over the ffmpeg.org DNS
> register.
> > -   Michael says he thinks he has some.
> > -   Ronald would be curious to know what "some" means.
> > -   Ronald proposes current project owners should have control over DNS
> and
> > trademark.
> > -   Ronald: Fabrice is not active, DNS and trademark should be in the
> > control of project members.
> > -   Michael: "i think fabrice should stay in ultimate control", "he has
> > always acted in the best interests of the people".
> > -   Ronald took a poll in the room, most agreed current project
> developers
> > should have control of this.
>
> I think you should define what you are aiming for exactly. Having more
> people control the domain zone, or asking Fabrice to transfer domain
> ownership to someone else or some legal entity.
>
> I doubt anybody has problem with the former, but for the latter, knowing
> history, it will certainly raise eyebrows. IMHO having Fabrice ultimate
> control over the domain ensures that everybody plays nice.

I disagree.

Fabrice has theoretical veto power over anything this community does
because he can change the IP ffmpeg.org points to. That is not right. He is
not a participant anymore. I understand he conceived of the project and its
name, but he is no longer part of the developer community in this project.
Most participants (basically everyone) agreed with this.

I don't mean to threaten and I don't mean to own rights to anything myself.
If you don't like me asking to be part of the GA even though I don't meet
the commit count threshold, you can express that by denying me membership
in the "other people" vote that will be up at some point in the near
future. I will respect this process regardless of outcome.

I believe the GA should have sole control and ownership over the domain and
trademark. I suggested to kindly ask Fabrice to transfer ownership and/or
legal control permanently to a non-profit controlled by and composed of
only our GA. I believe this can be amicably worked out.  If you believe
Fabrice should continue to have *some* (although not *sole*) say over
FFmpeg and ffmpeg.org, then we could propose for him to be a GA member,
too. I think that makes a lot of sense - he historically has a ton more
work in FFmpeg than me.

Ronald