[FFmpeg-devel] STF SoWs

Michael Niedermayer michael at niedermayer.cc
Wed Feb 7 14:58:20 EET 2024

On Tue, Feb 06, 2024 at 08:38:13PM -0500, Ronald S. Bultje wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, Feb 6, 2024 at 6:04 PM Michael Niedermayer <michael at niedermayer.cc>
> wrote:
>
> > I think you should sign a SoW that has "Merged in git master" as a
> > Deliverable
> >

> I already did. It was fine.

of course its fine 9 out of 10 times
but 1 out of 10 times the customer is unhappy and you are unhappy.
I like being transparent and explain this possibility to the customer/buisness
partner.
because no matter whats written in a contract, sometimes some patches cannot
be merged in git master.

> > PS: do you have a single person willing to sign this Deliverable you
> > want ?
> > If not, how will the STF thing work ?
> >

> You're asking for community input for your proposal, I gave comments as
> requested. It's OK to disagree on things, happens all the time.

yes, but i was hoping we could find something we both agree on

> You can A)
> ignore my suggestions and submit the proposal to STF anyway,
> B) submit a
> proposal to STF as yourself rather than as FFmpeg (but for the same tasks,
> on FFmpeg),
> C) submit a proposal using another company/non-profit (e.g.
> fflabs),
> D) not submit a proposal to STF,
> or E) something else ???

Its more complex
Theres the person writing a SoW for work he wants to do.
Theres the person who accepts the SoW in FFmpeg
Theres the person who passes accepted SoW on to SPI/STF

Iam sadly involved in more than one role here.
If everyone including you agree on whats written in the SoW, i think
its ok but if you disagree I cannot override or bypass that.

That said, we from the point of view of FFmpeg should not
promise STF that we can merge code in git master before its written.
It could fail and would make the project look bad

STF is about maintainance, analyzing bugs, fixing bugs, submitting patches
reviewing patches maybe.
Promising them that the whole community will accept every change. Which is
what "merge to git master" is. Is not needed
In fact it might even be counter productive. STF probabyl does not want things
to be merged that people do not agree on.

Nations do behave wisely once they have exhausted all other alternatives.
-- Abba Eban