[MPlayer-dev-eng]

BRUGGER Rolf rolf.brugger at unifr.ch
Thu Dec 11 23:54:34 CET 2003

Hi all,

I'd like to write a front-end for mplayer in Perl language.

For a mplayer running in background I need a method to get it's current state like 'playing', 'paused', and especially the current and remaining playtime.

What's the appropriate way to do this? Is it safe, to analyze the verbose output of mplayer. Something like

  mplayer mediafile | get_and_process_state

where "get_and_process_state" reads and interprets what mplayer writes to the console?

Thanks for any suggestions

Rolf