[MPlayer-dev-eng] container format

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Thu Feb 6 21:56:45 CET 2003

Hi

On Thursday 06 February 2003 21:34, Robert R. Wal wrote:
> On 03.02.06 Michael Niedermayer pressed the following keys:
> > [censored by reptile house]
> > matter, and the subtitles are considered as a normal stream like video so
> > they can be just encoded differently (invent a bzip2 based subtitle
> > format but thats idependant of the container ...)
>
> You're talking ascii/utf subtitles, aren't you?
anything, ascii based formats, or vobsub, or whatever (yes the player must
support it, and we need a fourcc for it, but thats the only limit)

> 8<---
> bc 1.06
> Copyright 1991-1994, 1997, 1998, 2000 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
> This is free software with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.
> For details type `warranty'.
> scale=4
> 120*1024/(700*1024*1024)
> .0001
> scale=6
> 120*1024/(700*1024*1024)
> .000167
> 8<---
>
> (yes, after rounding this is two per ten thousands)
>
> 120KB is about the biggest latin2 subtitle file I've found on my disk,
> and 700MB is the size of the associated movie. As you can see, I had
> to increase resolution to get the accurate results.
>
> So why on Earth overly complicate the format intruducing ascii subtitle
> compression, when you get two percent of the percent gain?
dont fear, we wont do that :)

> (we don't like MCF or Matryoshka[1] for their complexity, right)?
yes

> Compression is even less when you look at what happens after feeding
> popular compressors with packets of 20-80 bytes.
use ppm with a large dictionary ... :)

> Zlib compressing vobsubs muxed in stream on the other hand would be a
> neat idea. Even better would be storing them in a format like PNG (if it
> doesn't introduce overhead by itself).
yes, but as i allready said this is IMHO idependant of the container format,
its like a video codec, (-> subtitle codec ...)

[...]

Michael