[mplayer-dev-eng] Re: install localized manpages +

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Thu Feb 13 15:33:19 CET 2003

On Thu, Feb 13, 2003 at 01:11:50PM +0100, Rüdiger Kuhlmann wrote:

> >--[Andreas Hess]--<jaska at gmx.net>
>
> > So how should 'make install' behave? Install the english version as the
> > default version in '/usr/local/man/man1'? And why can't be the russian,
> > polish, french, etc. version, the default version for all locales?
>
> Install the English version as default in $(mandir)/man1, and all selected
> man pages (via $LINGUAS, which should default to all except English if unset)
> into their respective subdirectory. If you don't want to check for $LINGUAS,
> just install all of them. (man pages aren't large anyway, and it's up to
> a packager to remove them if he doesn't like them, or put them into a
> -doc package).

I have lots of software installed and don't have any such directories
already, and I'm going to be annoyed if mplayer starts making all
sorts of extra dirs under $mandir every time I make install. It's just
a mess and wastes time and disk space and leads to clutter. The
default should be to install ONLY the language selected at compile
time, in the $mandir/man1, and then optionally install others with
some (disabled-by-default) configure option.

Rich