[MPlayer-dev-eng] wishlist again

Roberto Togni r_togni at libero.it
Mon May 26 22:33:17 CEST 2003

On 2003.05.26 02:58 Arpi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> >  > yes, it would be nice, but now very useless (who needs qt dll's
> svq1 decoder
> >  > now... and it's the only user of syuv format)
> >  >
> >  > and paletted rgb support too, it could obsolete vf_palette and
> make
> >  > auto. filter insertion logic in g1/g2's video path a lot simpler.
> >
> > Well, the last time you wished for an improvement to swscaler
> Michael
> > implemented it by the next day.  Maybe you are lucky again ;-)
>
> no, i've requested this one already several times :)
> but i accept that it's quite low priority and nearly nobody actually
> uses
> codecs with palette (mayeb only 8bpp msvideo1/cinepak and gif are such
> things)
If everyone agree, we could change the codecs to output something
non-palettized like BGR15 or BGR16, or even BGR24/32 to have a lossless
conversion.
IIRC all palettized codec are available also as native codecs (msv1,
cinepak, qtrle, msrle, fli, smc, gif, ...). Do you know of any
binary-only decoder that only has palettized output?
The only bad side of this solution is that dithering is required if you
use a palettized vo, while now it can be avoided.

[...]
> A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

Ciao,
  Roberto