[MPlayer-users] Radeon VIVO TV-Out

Mikhail Grigoriev michael.grigoriev at mks.com
Tue Dec 11 21:12:08 CET 2001

A quote from http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/video.html:
---   quote   ---
What's status of ATI's tv-out chips under Linux:
  ATI Mach64 has ImpacTV which is supported by gatos.
  ASIC Radeon VIVO has Rage Theatre which is supported by gatos.
--- end quote ---

A quote from www.linuxvideo.org/gatos/faq.html:
---   quote   ---
1.8. Is TV-Out supported?
      No, TV-Out is not supported at this time, mostly due to a lack of
      documentation.
--- end quote ---

Is it just me or is one of these documents in desperate need of updating?
AFAIK, Gatos only supports video-in part ov VIVO. (and it works pretty well
I must add).

So, the above considered, what do you guys recommend I use for TV-out with a
Radeon VIVO? So far I've been running X on vesafb and using DGA to play movies,
but I don't get fullscreen, unless the movie is 640x480 :(
I tried scaled X11 too, but is waaaay to slow even with my 1 gig+ tbirb.

What are my other alternatives? Basically I am just looking to be able to play
stuff in fullscreen regardless of resolution...
Will vesa output let me do that?
Will radeon_vid work with a VIVO (Rage Theater based) radeon? Do I have to give up
framebuffer to use it?

Thanks in advance,
Mag.