ATI Radeon VE (was: Re: [Mplayer-users] new ffmpeg/libavcodec )

Nick Kurshev nickols_k at mail.ru
Tue Jul 24 22:25:44 CEST 2001

Hi, Christoph Lampert!

On 2001-07-24 17:28:24 you wrote:

>Try the lastest XFree 4.1, or even CVS. In the log-file, there was a remark
>that a bug about Radeon VE giving no picture was fixed now. I have not seen
>any official "support" for it, but on the other hand, they always write "Radeon
>supported" and ignore the VE.

I have X-4.1.0 but it makes something like "power off" on my screen after startx.
(Means liitle indicator of monitor is blinked)

>Apart from this, atyfb (fbdev) should work, too, so you could set up
>a X-Server on top of this.
X-developers didn't updated X-documentation since 4.0.2 and I'm don't know
any options of radeon_drv.o.
But I have found (on xfree86.org pages) that only SuSE does support
Radeon VE.
Then I've found on suse's ftp at:
ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/X/XFree86/XFree86-4.1.0-SuSE/
NEWS at 18 jul (i.e. 6 days ago)
*********************** NEWS for Release 4.1.0-10 ******************************

- Support for Radeon VE (1002:5159) on SVGA Port
And today I download (already half of day from top slower FTP of SuSE) this
package.
>P.S. if you have time, please keep me informed about what you achived
>with Radeon VE, I guess I'll buy one myself not too far from now.
>I would be glad to have less trouble than you.
I prefer not to be a pioneer ;)
Well - I my story will have a good end - maybe I'll write a book
in mlpayer/DOCS about ;)

Best regards! Nick (2001-07-24 20:14:15)