[MPlayer-users] Feature request: remote-control mode

Kilian A. Foth foth at informatik.uni-hamburg.de
Fri Nov 16 09:30:24 CET 2001

Robinson, Chad writes:
 > Kilian Foth wrote:
 >
 > > Therefore I would like to have a real remote-control mode in mplayer
 > > where it would read commands such as 'play' or 'seek 150' and give
 > > easily parsable output such as '150/6450'. Are you planning such a
 > > feature, or would you consider it if I hacked it in?
 >
 > I second this motion. I have written software that maintains a list of
 > movies, including information such as title, plot, actors, IMDB rating, etc.
 > It calls MPlayer to play the actual movies. I'm planning on releasing it as
 > Open Source as soon as it's actually usable in some form. (Right now, it
 > works well, but a lot of stuff is hard-coded.)
 >
 > [...]
 >
 > I'd be willing to work with you, Kilian, and anybody else interested in
 > adding this functionality.

OK, I'll try my hand at it over the weekend and send a patch for
discussion. I'm thinking of something very simple at first, just
printing

    @F 5 65480 0.13 1710.50  /* (Format borrowed from mpg123) */

and reading commands such as `stop' and `skip -5'.

Should I create a patch against the released 0.50, or the latest CVS
version? And should I send code to mplayer-users or mplayer-dev?