[Mplayer-users] Mostly SMP related questions

Attila Kinali kinali at gmx.net
Fri Sep 14 17:33:21 CEST 2001

On Fri, 14 Sep 2001 11:56:21 +0200 "Jiri Svoboda" <jiri.svoboda at seznam.cz> wrote:

> 2) Is mplayer single or multi thread application? This could help lot when
> You have dualprocessor system like me, so one processor can be fully
> dedicated for image decoding and second for audio, feeding graphic card  ...

At the moment mplayer is a single threaded aplication, but, if i
understood the future plans right, it will be one with 2 processes.
But I'm not sure if they will be split that they can take full atvantage
of SMP machines

> 3) How much slower/cpu time consumig is fbdev device than mga_vid ?
> In my configuration I'm using fbdev for TVout on second head of my G400-RRG
> while there are accelerated X running on first head (with option fbdev).
> This allows me to play video on my monitor or on TV by choosing right output
> device.

It's a lot slower. Here on my PII 400 it was imposible to watch
some movies with fbdev while over mga_vid i had 40% free cpu.

But this was a long time ago (somewhere about 0.17 release),
dont know how it is now, but it shouldnt have changed too much.

			Attila Kinali

--
Man who sink into womans arms soon have arms in womans sink.