[Mplayer-users] Mostly SMP related questions

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Fri Sep 14 19:26:38 CEST 2001

Hi,

> > 2) Is mplayer single or multi thread application? This could help lot when
> > You have dualprocessor system like me, so one processor can be fully
> > dedicated for image decoding and second for audio, feeding graphic card  ...
>
> At the moment mplayer is a single threaded aplication, but, if i
> understood the future plans right, it will be one with 2 processes.
> But I'm not sure if they will be split that they can take full atvantage
> of SMP machines
Yes, more or less.

It does not really worth to split decoding to 2 cpu, as memory is common,
and decoding uses a lots of memory (the bottleneck of video decoding is
memory bandwith, not the cpu).

Currently it's single process/thread app, expect if running with GUI,
because of the GUI gtk part running on different process.

It is planned to be multi-process program, but it won't help you:
input media cache will run in different process, so a slow cdrom or network
won't block playback.

We don't plan to split decoding to multiple threads/processes.

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu
http://esp-team.scene.hu