[Mplayer-users] TV Out

Anders Rune Jensen root at gnulinux.dk
Fri Sep 28 16:05:42 CEST 2001

Wow!!

I have been looking for a solution like this ever since I started
subscribing to this list. I have a Toshiba Tecra 8200 with a Trident
Cyberblade XP. As of Xfree 4.1.0-6 (debian package) xv doesn't work yet.
And I havn't even started on getting the tv-out working. I have a remote
control :) The machine is quite powerfull p3 750, 256 mb ram, so maybe I
can try the svga that you're using. Could you provide me / others with
more detail. This looks quite promising.

On fre, 2001-09-28 at 15:07, Robinson, Chad wrote:

> RE: [Mplayer-users] tv out on nvidia cards --> Renaming to TV Out (most of
> us don't care about NVidia!)
>
> Stephen Davies wrote:
> > Chad Robinson wrote:
> > > I don't know about NVidia, but I am using an ATI All-in-Wonder Pro
> > > with TV-out and SVGALib. (X11 works, too, but I prefer SVGALib.)
> > > Works very well, although I can't go above 640x480.
> >
> > And I can tell you that a Voodoo 3000 with TV-out works.
> >
> > I hacked the bt869 driver to support 720x576 output.  What chip does
> > the ATI card use to make the interlaced video?  Would this bt869
> > driver help you?
>
> Thanks for the offer, but actually, I'm not using direct video out. The ATI
> card automatically turns on its TV-out whenever you are in 640x480 or a text
> mode. Therefore, I use Linux Framebuffer at boot to go into 640x480, and
> stay in that mode forever after, using scaling in MPlayer to scale up
> smaller movies.
>
> The only problem is, no down-scaling in MPlayer. So, this does not work for
> movies wider(usually)/taller(never seen on) than 640x480. :-( I was thinking
> about trying to hack this in by reversing what the up-scaling does, but
> really don't know much about bilinear/bicubic math, so it'll have to wait
> for the moment.
>
> Otherwise, this is nearly a perfect solution. I get to save all the space of
> X, and I can have a fully automated solution. My project will have its own
> 640x480 SVGALib interface that I will write to allow the user to select a
> movie to play using an I/R remote control. No keyboard, no mouse.
>
> > Incidentally - there is another approach to TV output from PCs - which is
> > to drive the TV directly with PAL-rate interlaced output from the VGA
> > card.  This can be done with a simple VGA->SCART cable with few or even no
> > active components.  And a TV with an RGB-input SCART.
>
> For what it's worth, I've done this. (Although I use NTSC, and some
> conversion is in order.) I must say, it's a bit of a pain. Picking the right
> video card, etc. It's better to just buy a VGA->NTSC/PAL converter. They can
> be had for about $80 for 640x480/800x600 versions, and a bit more for all
> major resolutions. If your video card doesn't support TV-Out this way works
> fine.
>
> But, it's a bit blurry...
>
> Regards,
> Chad