[MPlayer-users] Bug Report for Mencoder Subtitles and Libavcodec

Mike Albon mikea at yuri.org.uk
Sun Apr 7 10:50:02 CEST 2002

Hi,

This is my first posting to this list, and unfortunately it's a
repeatable bug report. I've used mplayer for nearly all my multimedia
needs under debian sid for a long time.

Preamble:
After deciding that I wish to do some encoding from DVD to Mpeg4 I
though that mencoder would do the job, which it does. However I have
found some unusual behavior. I updated from CVS on the 6th April 2002
and build mplayer using the debian build process with lame and xvid
support (as well as libavcodec).

Problem:
Subtitles don't work with Libavcodec but to with xvid.

using the command:
mencoder -dvd 1 -sid 0 -ovc divx4 -divx4opts max_quant=8:min_quant=4 -o
blah.avi

That gives nice video with nice mplayer subtitles.

using the command:
mencoder -dvd 1 -sid 0 -ovc lacv -lavcopts vqmax=8:vqmin=4 -o blah2.avi

Gives faster rendering time, and no subtitles. I can repeat this many
times over, and decided to test it out specifically to file this report.

Please help me with this problem.

Many Thanks

Mike Albon