[MPlayer-users] screen filled with junk

Louis-David Mitterrand ldm at apartia.org
Tue Aug 13 16:55:02 CEST 2002

On Tue, Aug 13, 2002 at 03:11:09PM +0100, Glyn wrote:
> Louis-David Mitterrand wrote:
> > > Try making the terminal a couple of characters wider anyway.
> >
> > My god, this is shocking! It works as you said. No scrolling when the
> > terminal is wider.
> >
> > (Cameron: I stand corrected.)
> >
> > It would be nice though not having to resize one's terminal just to run
> > mplayer.
>
> You may want to investigate those huge % values in your output.  If all
> of them were <=100 then it would easily fit into 80 characters.

Man this is isane. After checking the FAQ to see what these percentages
mean it appears my video and audio codecs use _much_ more than 100%:

A:   2.4 V:   2.3 A-V:  0.022 ct:  0.217   70/ 70  932774% 78% 1492402.7% 39 0 0

Technically, if mplayer were right, my notebook should be melting ;-)

Is that a bug or a feature?

> If it really bothers you - if you're watching the movie rather than
> debugging, and the scrolling terminal will be a distraction (as well as
> a possible drain on X's CPUtime) - then just redirect all the output to
> /dev/null .

or use -quiet (sidenote: why not use the -- convention for long options
like in most linux programs? ).

ldm at apartia.org