[MPlayer-users] Weird DVD playback

Ivan Kalvachev ivan at cacad.com
Mon Aug 19 05:34:01 CEST 2002

I have seen that on CD-RW, that sometimes my cd-rom  reads awfully slow.
I am not sure does cache option work woth DVD, but you can try to add
-cache 32768 at mplayer command line, this will make a 32MB input buffer.
If this doesn't help try to copy(rip) some part of the dvd on your HDD and
 run it with mplayer from there.
Also try to tune your DVD with hdparm utility. Be careful!

There used to be reports for very slow playback when scsi emulation is
turned on in the kernel (for CD-Writer), i donno how actuall is that
nowdays. Oh, same for some (old) RH precompiled kernels.