[MPlayer-users] mplayer and xscreensaver problems

Andriy Gapon agapon at excite.com
Mon Aug 19 06:55:03 CEST 2002

Maybe this is not the best list for this report, but it looks like mplayer
developers peek here too.

Problems with -stop_xscreensaver option:

1. mplayer seems to make its decision about if xscreensaver is running by
return status of "xscreensaver-command -exit" command. On my system, with
my version of xscreensaver that command always returns 0, whether
xscreensaver is running or not.

2. It appears that on my system processes started by system() call
inheret some open descriptors of a parent process (i.e. they remain open
through fork() and exec*() calls). Thus, for instance, after have used
mplayer -stop_xscreensaver I get xscreensaver holding sound device, while
it never actually uses it on its own. This may be a matter of
close-on-exec flag or the specific system() call implementation.

My system is 4.6.1-RELEASE-p10 FreeBSD i386.
My xscreensaver is xscreensaver 4.05.
My mplayer is MPlayer 0.90pre6-2.95.3 from FreeBSD ports.

I'm not sure if this is FreeBSD/FreeBSD ports specific. If it is, I will
contact FreeBSD ports maintainers.

--
Andriy Gapon
*