[MPlayer-users] Problem with DVD

David Ronis ronis at ronispc.chem.mcgill.ca
Mon Aug 19 20:04:02 CEST 2002

I'm trying to get DVD working on a linux-2.4.19 box using the CVS
version of mplayer (either with or without gui).  I'm using
gcc-2.95.3.  The only thing that is perhaps nonstandard about my
system is that the DVD drive is a dual DVD/CD drive that has been set
to run using the ide-scsi module.  As a CD it works fine on /dev/scd0
and I'd simply made a link to /dev/dvd.

When I start mplayer, e.g., mplayer -dvd 1, or using the gui, I get an
initial screen.  In the gui, I can see the titles and chapters, and
better yet, I can seek in the dvd.  However, the movie doesn't
play--it's as if I've hit pause, although that doesn't show on the
console output.  In fact, the best success I've had to date is by holding down
the space-bar--things are very choppy, but at least the movie plays.

I've tried with with the x11 and x11idix drivers (I have a raid-128
card).

Any suggestions/ideas?

David