[MPlayer-users] Smoothness and soundcards

Mike mikeh at notnowlewis.co.uk
Sat Dec 28 21:46:04 CET 2002

Hi all, and a pre-emptive happy new year ;)

I am using MPlayer to watch divx stuff on my TV, and
it works very well, however I have noticed a difference in
the framerate between playing the movie normally
and using -nosound. I have read the documentation
and understand why this is, and I have tried a couple
of different sound cards and drivers to try and match
the smoothness of -nosound, but I cannot get the
playback smoothness to be as good as when I play
with -nosound.

Can anyone recommend a soundcard and driver
that will give me the smooth playback I'm after?
I have tried SB Live! and SB PCI128 with the stock
drivers included with the linux kernel.

I am using -ao=oss ( -ao=sdl was terrible! )

Many thanks,

Mike