[MPlayer-users] tool to test cropping

D Richard Felker III dalias at aerifal.cx
Thu Jul 25 01:14:02 CEST 2002

On Wed, Jul 24, 2002 at 09:53:49PM +0200, Arpi wrote:
> Hi,
>

> > PS. Obviously I meen gui tool of some sort if I want to actually see the
> > picture ;) But the command line tool that would show me what I want to
> > see based on command line parameters will do.
> >
> > [1] with possibility to seek another if selected one is too dark to see
> >  the black borders
>
> run mplayer with yoru crop parameters - you can watch it cropped/resized and
> if you're statisfied you can replace mplayer by mencoder and add other encoding
> options. also, RTFM about -vop cropdetect, it may do the job for you
> automagically...

How about an option to cropdetect, to make it optionally autocrop a
couple extra pixels? That would eliminate the problem of huge bitrate
waste in the transition to black. Of course this probably isn't needed
on DVDs which will have a very sharp cutoff to black at the edges, but
I find lots of anime originally encoded in VCD-format gradually fades
out to black over a couple pixels at the left and right. This would be
very easy to add -- just print out values slightly smaller than the
detected size. Of course one could also do the shrinking by hand, but
it's nice to just be able to c&p the output from cropdetect to the
mencoder commandline. :)

Rich