[MPlayer-users] Re: Sorenson and MOVS

Sascha Sommer saschasommer at freenet.de
Wed May 22 13:51:01 CEST 2002

> > No Sorenson encoded .mov can be converted with RadTools.... If you think
I am
> > wrong please tell me how did you made it run. Because it doesn't work
for me :-(

> No one .mov that I have tried has created any problem with converting
> trough RadTools. I have been able to convert ALL of them, and, believe
> me, I have tried a lot... :-)
> The only problem that I've found is related with sound, not image. Last
> .movs present some difficulty or impossibility to decode the sound, but
> this is a minor problem as the small utility "mov2avi" is able to
> recover sound wonderfully.
> Anyway, as I am not an expert on .movs, if the reason of my success is
> that there are very few .movs using Sorenson, much better. It means that
> stupidly (or avariciously) closed software is not the key to search for.
> ;-)
> --
> Santiago Muelas (Depto. de Mecánica)
> http://w3.mecanica.upm.es/~smuelas
> ETSI de Caminos, Canales y Puertos (U.P.M)    smuelas at mecanica.upm.es
> Dr.Aranguren s/n - Ciudad Universitaria       Tf. 91 336 6659
> MADRID 28040

To make them playable you have to reencode them with a different codec. As
far as I know,
using tools like mov2avi won't help, because the codec would still be
sorenson video.
MPlayer can play movs, but it hasn't the codec for sorenson video.
Perhaps sorenson video 1 will be playable, soon. At least someone
was able to decode some keyframes.

S. Sommer