[MPlayer-users] OGG Vorbis audio has sync issues?

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Tue Oct 1 15:49:02 CEST 2002

I have encoded a DIVX video stream from a DVD, together with the audio
as an OGG Vorbis file.

I am having a problem with the AV synchronization, which I am not sure
how to resolve.

When I play this back using...

# config file sets: vo=xvidix:radeon_vid.so
# aop=list=format,resample pp=0x7f vop=pp npp=hr:a,vr:a,dr:a,al:a,ci:a sws=2
] mplayer mononoke-with-chapters.avi -audiofile mononoke-en.ogg

...the audio and video get out of sync if I seek the video, but drift
slowly back toward the correct position.

If I use the ogmmerge tool to put the video stream into an OGM container
rather than an AVI container, however, then use...

] mplayer mononoke.ogm -audiofile mononoke-en.ogg

...the audio starts to lag, so that if I play back exactly the first
1000 frames of the movie, over five runs, the A-V sync is reported as:

  -3.491  -4.965  -5.243  -5.119  -5.066

The same occurs if I merge the video and audio streams into a singe OGM
file, so it doesn't seem to be related to the audiofile option here.

My system, a P4-1700 with 512MB RAM and a radeon FireGL (7800), is
unloaded at the time I am running this, with gkrellm reporting ~30% of
CPU time as idle.

I am using the Linux RTC driver for timing, and I don't see these issues
when playing from DVD directly.

This is with mplayer built from CVS of version:

MPlayer CVS-021001-22:39-2.95.4 (C) 2000-2002 Arpad Gereoffy (see DOCS)

CPU: Intel  (Family: 8, Stepping: 4)
Compiled for x86 CPU with extensions: MMX MMX2 SSE SSE2

If you want I can upload a segment from the AVI, the OGG Vorbis audio
stream or the test OGM file with both audio and video streams. It runs
at 8MB per minute, so let me know how long you want and what of... er,
and where to put it, too.

I don't know if I have given the right information here, but I hope it's
close. :)

Thanks,
        Daniel

--
The greatest humiliation in life, is to work hard on something from which you
expect great appreciation, and then fail to get it.