[MPlayer-users] Bugreport: video slowdown.

voy voy at satanic.com
Tue Oct 1 17:54:01 CEST 2002

Hello mplayer-users,

I have one small problem [or bug... yes, it is a bug] with mplayer.
I have not very fast system (haven't money to buy anything better), so I always try to use svgalib because there is no vo-plugins else for watching divx films on fullscreen (no dri, no drm, no xv for my videocard)
Everything goes fine (and slow), but if I try to use -framedrop parameter for mplayer, some strange things happen: at the beginning of the movie fps is OK, everything goes fine, but suddently movie slows down extremely fast. Humm... I think it is not very correct description, FPS of the movie goes down to zero and after ~5 secs of playing video stops, but sound continues playing without any issues.
I wondered if that was a problem with sound and tried to add -nosound parameter to mplayer, and nothing strange happened, there were no problems, everything went very well, but without sound :).
So I can make a decision that it is a problem with sound, and happens only using svgalib (x11 and sdl are fine). Let's go.
Later I tried to change '-nosound' parameter to '-ao null' and what happened? I saw all symptoms which I had described. '-ao sdl' and '-ao arts' give the same problems. (changing of audio codecs didn't give anything)
But the most interest thing which causes no such symptoms is to use different divx codec: if I try to run

	mplayer -vo svga -vc odivx -framedrop VideoOut.avi

everything goes ok!.. Humm, I can't understand, where is my problem...
(so i think it is only ffmpeg+svgalib issue)
Descriprion of my hardware you can find below.

-----------------------------------
Dist: 		RH7.1 (was long long time ago:))
Kernel:		2.4.19
libc:		2.2.5
X:		4.2.1
gcc:		3.2
ld:		GNU ld 2.10.91 (with BFD 2.10.91.0.2)
as:		as 2.10.91

CPU:		celeron 333 mendocino (666.82 bogomips)
Video:		Diamond Stealth II/G460 i470 AGP, chip: i740, mem: 8mb
Video drv:	X built-in driver
		no hardware opengl, no xv extension, no dri extension
Sound:		Creative SB PCI64 with kernel oss drivers