[MPlayer-users] Re: Tv-out on Ati radeon 9000

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Wed Oct 9 01:07:02 CEST 2002

On Tue, 8 Oct 2002, idasarag at tiscalinet.it wrote:

[...]

>> (as mentioned somewhere in the FM, the tv output used by vo vesa
>> is managed by the BIOS, so it must know _at boot time_ that the tv
>> is there or it will not configure the tv interface.
>
> ok, but how can i know if the bios has configured the tv interface or
> not ? Some days ago i tryed also a little software called atitvout but
> it cant see the tv connected, it saw only the crt.

With my Radeon 7800 (FireGL), I found that I could get TV-out if I did
the following:

1. Connect the TV via the cable *with it on* before a reboot
2. Set the video resolution to <= 800x600
3. Run atitvout with '-f' to turn on the TV, but only the TV, display.

You probably need to play around with the various flags and options that
atitvout supports.

Oh, and wait about five seconds after trying each option -- I found that
it took something like that for the display mode change to kick in...

> Now i really dont know how to work the tv out then it's possible that
> i do some mistake. Before the boot i connected a normal cable tv to
> the little cable of the video card, then i booted. Is it correct or i
> need of a special cable ?

No, that's what I did and it worked OK, so it /should/ be fine with a
normal TV cable.

       Daniel

--
Physics is littered with the corpses of dead unified field theories.
        -- Freeman Dyson