[MPlayer-users] don't see some languages on DVD

Artwine artwine at seznam.cz
Wed Jan 22 15:13:20 CET 2003

I have LOTR enhanced edition (4DVD).
When I play it on desktop DVD Video, I can choose
czech language and czech subtitles - so threy are there and
they are OK, but when I try to play it in my DVD-ROM:
"mplayer -dvd 1 -alang cs" or "mplayer -dvd 1 -slang cs"
or "mplayer -dvd 1 -alang en -slang cs"
or "mplayer -dvd 1 -sid 2" (mplayer tells in -v mode that
language cs in on sid 2), there is NO czech audio,
NO czech subtitles. What's wrong? (english subtitles are
ok if I try "-sid 0")

Note: "mplayer -dvd 1 -v" shows only alangs: en, pl
(but there MUST be more audio languages on the disc)
and also shows many slangs "cs" including (but cannot be
played or grabbed thru "mencoder -vobsubout ...")

Could it be region related? Disc is region 2+5,
I do not know what my DVD-ROM drive region is,
how can I detect it? Is region relevant when I do not
have other problem playing theese discs?

Artwine