[MPlayer-users] Re: Bug reporting - MPlayer - The Movie Player for Linux

Sean lakese at sas.upenn.edu
Tue Jul 8 05:36:06 CEST 2003

OS: MacOS X.2.6
Problem: MPlayer launches the Aqua frontend even when unnecessary (when
using X11 output), and doesn't handle the inability to launch the Aqua
frontend gracefully.
How to replicate: build MPlayer with X11 support, and run MPlayer from
a terminal within X. Note how the Aqua frontend still appears in the
dock. Now, log out and enter >console as your user name. Log in at the
terminal, and run exec startx to get an XWindows session. Try to run
MPlayer, and it will quit with some errors that I didn't write down,
but that are plainly Cocoa/Carbon calls failing to connect to the Mac
window server. Lastly, run this same copy of MPlayer from Apple's
Terminal.app without specifying -vo. Note how MPlayer gives errors
about not being able to access the X11 window server, and then moves on
to using the Aqua frontend. I would tend to think that MPlayer should
behave the same way if Mac window server is unavailable, but X11 is.

Problem: --disable-macosx compile option does not effect above behavior
at all. I thought I could just use two separate compiles of MPlayer to
work around the problem above, but both compiles still launch the Aqua
frontend. It seems to me that launching the Aqua frontend is covered by
"Disable Mac OS X specific features." (from ./configure --help). It may
also be worth checking for other Mac OS X specific features that should
be disabled by this compiler tag but that are not.

X11: latest binary install available through XDarwin.org
gnome: current binaries available as part of the fink stable binary
distro
computer: iBook (colors) G3 300MHz that barely plays DivX acceptably
under OS9, and I wanted to see if there was a way to do so without
rebooting and decompressing the audio before viewing.

Thank you for your time, and thanks for the great work on MPlayer.

Sean