[MPlayer-users] avi wont play in windows - help please!!!

Troy D. Strum tstrum at pokotv.com
Thu Jun 12 15:20:05 CEST 2003

I do this all the time.

My source images are JPEGs and are 720x480. They start out as DV sized still
frames (720x480 TIFFs) and I use imagemagick to move them to convert them to
next-to-lossless 720x480 JPEG (as mencoder only likes JPEG and PNG for mf).
For the two mencoder lines to follow I use up to 1000 individual frames.

Once I have a directory of images I use this line:

mencoder -v "*.jpg" -mf on:fps=30 -vop scale=640:480 -ovc lavc -lavcopts
vcodec=mpeg4:keyint=15:vbitrate=3000:vhq -o "/home/troy/highquality.avi"

(Yes, I know the above line looks a little kooky, but this is on purpose.)

I also use this line:

mencoder -v "*.jpg" -mf on:fps=30 -vop scale=320:240 -ovc lavc -lavcopts
vcodec=mpeg4:vbitrate=100:vhq -o "/home/troy/streaming/streaming.avi"

The resulting files will play perfectly on Windows, Mac and Linux - using
WMP, QuickTime and Mplayer respectively - using either of those lines.

I'm pretty sure that using *.png would work as well, without using
ImageMagick to convert into JPEG - thus saving you a step. What is the magic
here? Not quite sure, but it works perfectly well.

- Troy