[MPlayer-users] Incorrect timing problem when using -ss

Wes Wright ww001 at paul.hn.org
Thu Mar 27 00:44:58 CET 2003

I've recently changed video cards and am using a mpeg2 capture mode
which supports variable bitrate.  I'm recording at 3 Mbps mpeg2 (Planar
YV12), 320x480.

Using -ss does not produce accurate results.  Both mplayer and mencoder
produce consistent results.  In one of my files (which is 13 min 30s
long and about 335 meg) I try to get it to play 159 seconds into the
video and it starts at 149.4 instead.  Others are similarly off.

Rc5 (RPM) and the CVS version seem to have the same results.  Rc3 (RPM)
on the same file would actually end up about 20 seconds later in the
stream (i.e., -ss 159 starts me at ~180s).  Seems that the calculations
are off somewhere.

I've attached the output of an mplayer command run from the CVS version
(3/26/03).  Note I do hit <ESC> right away so that's why it ends.

Thanks for any help with this,
-- Wes