[MPlayer-users] Voices delay

Tony Brummett tony at blight.com
Thu Nov 20 20:53:48 CET 2003

On Thu, Nov 20, 2003 at 03:47:13PM +0000, Sam Mason wrote:
> Vidar Wahlberg wrote:
> >Well, I've played the dvd with mplayer with correct sync. I've also
> >played the vob i ripped using mplayer with correct sync. So it's only
> >when i encode the sync gets wrong.
>
> Strange, that smacks of strange encode options. . .  I've had a look
> back at some of your older posts and you seem to be ending up doing
> quite a large number of steps to encode your video.  What's the
> simplest set of options that you've used that exhibits this problem?

I have another situation that's exibiting the same kind of problem.
I'm doing something a little more complicated, <whisper>pulling video
off my tivo</whisper> and then converting it to an mpeg4, but I still
think the mencoder step at the end of the process is where the delay comes
from.

First, I pull off the tystream and save it to a local file, convert it
to a normal mpeg using either tyc or vsplit+mplex, then use GOPchop to
keep only the parts I want.  At this point, I have a normal mpeg2 file
with _no_ A/V sync issues.

Then, if I convert it to an mpeg4 .avi with mencoder, the resulting file
has the audio slightly delayed.  It dosen't matter if I do a 1, 2 or
3-pass encoding (using the command lines from section 7.2 of the docs),
the sound is off.  Though the 2-pass file was closer to being correct,
it was still delayed.

-- Tony  tony at blight.com