[MPlayer-users] Re: Custom resolution using mplayer

Alban Bedel albeu at free.fr
Wed Oct 1 20:47:57 CEST 2003

Hi Tobias Diedrich,

on Wed, 1 Oct 2003 19:18:22 +0200 you wrote:

> As VESA doesn't support custom resolutions, you have to use either x11,
> fbdev or svga. I'd try using a custom kernel with framebuffer support
> for the GFX-Card in your box. AFAIR you can specify a modeline on the
> kernel command line or use the fbset utility.
I recently needed customs modeline at boot time to use a fixed frequency
monitor. It turned out that giving modeline as boot parameters is sadly
driver depandent :((( The mga driver parse the modeline stuff itself but
the tdfx one don't.
Dunno for the vesa driver but if it doesn't work you need to add the
modeline(s) you want in linux/drivers/video/modedb.c
However modelines can always be set at run time with fbset, so don't
recompile before you found the desired modeline.
	Albeu
--

Everything is controlled by a small evil group
to which, unfortunately, no one we know belongs.