[MPlayer-users] Bitrate confusion

rcooley rcooley at spamcop.net
Sat Jul 17 10:48:54 CEST 2004

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 21:11:15 +0200 (CEST)
Meino Christian Cramer <Meino.Cramer at gmx.de> wrote:

>   I was the output of "-cropdetect", which cut'n'pasted here.
>
>   If mencoder will not understand, what mencoder is talking to
>   itsself, then.... ;)

MPlayer has no way of knowing that you are going to use those crop
dimentions for encoding.  Even if it did, it would have no way of
knowing which video codec you plan on encoding to.  And again, even if
it did, it wouldn't know if you were going to be scaling the video
after cropping it.

So, mplayer can't do all the thinking for you.

OTOH, it certainly would be a much nicer solution if an "autocrop"
filter was written, that would handle such things, the same way
autoaspect does.  I usually have scripts that handle these things, but
perhaps it would be easier in the long run if I look into writing a
MPlayer filter...  Don't mind me, just thinking out-loud.