[MPlayer-users] 2 simple questions

Jason Tackaberry tack at sault.org
Thu Jun 3 17:07:05 CEST 2004

On Thu, 2004-06-03 at 13:29 +0200, Alexandre Aractingi wrote:
> But if I make "gmplayer -vf expand ..." my default player (in my
> graphical file manager) I will have the subtitles ok if the movie is
> 16:9 but subtitles will be "out of the screen" for 4:3 movies, right?

You can first scale it to the proper resolution, and then expand it.

-vf scale=800:-2,expand=800:600

(Assuming, of course, your display is 800x600 -- change accordingly.)

The problem with this is that it doesn't benefit from hardware scaling
so it's not quite as efficient, but this isn't likely a problem unless
you have a CPU under, say, 1Ghz.

Cheers,
Jason.