[MPlayer-users] Re: Does radeon_vid.so support Radeon 9600XT cards?

Wed Mar 31 23:40:49 CEST 2004

On Wed, 31 Mar 2004, Sebastian Kaps wrote:

SK>> radeon_vid (or vidix itself) doesn't work with rgb surfaces (but reports
SK>> that it does). -bpp is no use at all. If the filter chain you use
SK>> outputs some kind of rgb by default, you'll see distortion.
SK>
SK>I don't use any filters at all. At least none that I know of.
SK>This is my (default) ~/.mplayer/config file:
SK>,----
SK>| ## Video Options
SK>| vo=gl2
SK>| fs=yes
SK>| zoom=no
SK>| vm=yes
SK>| bpp=24
SK>| autoq=1
SK>| dr=yes
SK>|
SK>| ## Audio Options
SK>| ao=esd,oss:/dev/sound/dsp
SK>| ac=hwac3,
SK>|
SK>| ## Other
SK>| framedrop=yes
SK>| gui=no
SK>| osdlevel=1
SK>| subfont-osd-scale=9
SK>| dvd-device=/dev/ide/host0/bus1/target0/lun0/cd
SK>| mixer=/dev/sound/mixer
SK>|
SK>| ## experimental
SK>| fixed-vo=yes
SK>| autoq=10
SK>| menu=yes

Everything looks OK, except for dr (can lead to slowdowns) and menu
(major slowdown in some cases too).

Also, audio lags for me when using esd; but it may work good for you,
don't know.

SK>For testing I just run 'mplayer -vo xvidix:radeon_vid.so movie.avi'.
SK>
SK>> Try playing just with -vf pp first (just to test it works). Then, try
SK>> adding scale,format=yv12 (or yuy2) to the end of your filter chain.
SK>
SK>I tried with -vf pp. The colors stay distorted and the performance
SK>slows down a lot (if I had to guess, I'd say to around 10 fps on a
SK>P4-2.6 GHz).

WTF? Something is definitely broken here. pp should only take several
percents of cpu on your machine.

SK>> My default filter chain (suited for animation) is
SK>> vf = pp=hb:c/vb:c/dr:c/al:f,hqdn3d,noise=10uah,eq2
SK>This is faster, but the color problem persists.

This should be 10 times slower..

I think I get it, dr leads to problems. It happens sometimes. Try
-vf pp,eq2 - it should be very fast. eq2 in the filter chain disables dr
(or removes the bad effect, don't know). Then just turn it off.

That won't help you with color problems, though.

SK>> Other color anomalies are possible in rgb or yuv colorspaces, but I
SK>> never encountered them in vidix on radeons. Just for completeness,
SK>> filters like rgb2bgr, swapuv & noformat can help you with them.
SK>
SK>I've tried them all. None of them help :-/

Well, you should add some parameters to some of them...

OK, try to describe how colors are distorted one more time. And show
full output of mplayer -v movie.avi (till the playback starts).

--

Vladimir