[MPlayer-users] Ripping dvd with DTS audio

Thu Mar 24 00:57:49 CET 2005

Hi D Richard Felker III!

 On 2005.03.23 at 16:42:08 -0500, D Richard Felker III wrote next:

> Because it's all about marketing propaganda. Audiophile newbs think
> DTS==god because it has dolby in the name. DVDs with DTS are actually
> immensely lower quality because they've wasted almost a megabit/sec
> that should have gone to the video.

Think of it this way. It IS there. Quality of DTS track is better - it
sounds more clear. I don't mind spending ~250mb (for 2 hour film) more
on audio track, because I usually rip long films to 1.5-2gb avis. Why
not use it?

As about bitrate, you are wrong. First, if you will search internet,
you'll find that a lot of people are complaining about lack of bonuses
on DTS dvds - so that just drop some of that extra stuff to fit that
768kb/s track.
Second, about 3/4 of dvds I have have average video bitrate at 4mb/s.
And then there are dvd-9 discs with only 5-6 gb of data too. Why? How
should I know. Maybe they wanted to put a dts track and a whole amount
of interviews and advertising but forgot to do so, or dropped them from
this region's release.

Anyway, 2 hour dts track takes 690mb. There is usually only one dts
track in original language, and I think that every dvd-9 disc has extra
700mb left. I never seen dts track on dvd-5 disc...

> > With the same command as I use to encode avi with ac3 track, but with
> > -aid 138 (dts track) instead of -aid 129 (ac3 track) mencoder produces a
> > huge amount of frame drops, the resulting video is very jerky and
> > audio and video don't sync. When -mc 0 is used, there are much less
> > framedrops, but mplayer goes crazy in the middle of encoding (constant
> > "Too many audio packets" messages), and the resulting avi is still jerky
> > and a-v sync goes off.
> > The indirect method - encoding with ac3 track and then replacing it with
> > dts track on additional mencoder pass with -audiofile doesn't work too,
> > a-v sync goes off in resulting file.
> >
> > Are there any other ways? Or better yet, a working advice from someone
> > who did it.
>
> MEncoder must be demuxing the DTS track incorrectly. Does mplayer play
> it fine from the DVD?

Yes, it works great. With software or hardware decoding, both playback
and seeking give no problems.

--

Vladimir