[MPlayer-users] scale TV image to full screen width

RC rcooley at spamcop.net
Sun Nov 13 04:04:33 CET 2005

On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 19:06:11 +0100
Louis-David Mitterrand <vindex at apartia.org> wrote:

> Usually I "-vf cropdetect" the stream and then apply the recommended
> value in order to get a _real_ full screen image (i.e: no black bars
> on the sides). This works fine but is a two-step process.

I've scripted cropdetect to do pretty much what you want.
The attached script is taken from a much, much larger script, so watch
out for variables I forgot to manually set.  TOTAL_LOOPS is how many
different segments of the video you want cropdetect to run on.
Obviously, the higher this is, the more accurate the crop parameters,
but the longer it will take.

Alternatively, you could waste some CPU-cycles to do something
similar to what you're asking for...  For instance:
  -vf scale=1024:-2,expand=:640,crop=:640