[MPlayer-users] configure doesn't find Jack (yes it does) / lzo

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at stud.uni-karlsruhe.de
Thu Apr 27 20:13:05 CEST 2006

Hi,
On Thu, Apr 27, 2006 at 04:07:58PM +0000, Warren Wilder wrote:
> However, the configure script of ffmpeg doesn't detect it. There is no

ffmpeg does not use liblzo since it is GPL. It uses my own lzo
implementation for some codecs.
MPlayer does not need the lzo library either (AFAIK), since minilzo
is included, and I doubt you'll run over a media file that needs it.

> But ehm.., what exactly are the benefits of using lzo in comparison to
> gzip? Faster video decompression I reckon, but with any and all files,
> or are there cases where mplayer decides at runtime to use either lzo
> or gzip or.. perhaps something else as well?

Uh.. for playing, MPlayer does not have any choice, it must use whatever
was used for encoding. Also, lzo is hardly ever used for encoding video
these days, at most for video headers (matroska can use it), but even
that is rare.
Actually a quick grep for USE_LIBLZO delivers only vd_lzo.c and
demux_mkv.c...

Greetings,
Reimar Döffinger