[MPlayer-users] Is this a bug? 15fps MOV to 30fps mpeg1 halves run time

Rich Felker dalias at aerifal.cx
Tue Jan 10 05:18:35 CET 2006

On Mon, Jan 09, 2006 at 11:16:31AM -0800, Philip Walden wrote:
> RC wrote:
>
> >On Sun, 08 Jan 2006 13:31:58 -0800
> >Philip Walden <pwaldenlinux at pacbell.net> wrote:
> >

> >>$ mencoder -vf harddup -noskip -ofps  30000/1001 -of mpeg -mpegopts
> >>

> >                                                  ^^^^
> >
> >Mystery solved.  Using -noskip with -ofps is really stupid.
> >

> Yea! Thanks that did the trick.
>
> Sorry about getting everyone sidetracked. As I said earlier, I am just
> wading into the complexities of video processing.
>
> I case someone writes a wiki somewhere on this, I added the -noskip
> because the man page section for -mpegopts said:
>
> "Generally, when generating MPEG files, it is advisable to disable
> MEncoder's frame-skip code (see -noskip, -mc as well as the harddup and
> softskip video filters)"

Yes, this means either-or, not both together. :)
If your original file is supposed to already be the right framerate,
but skipping and duplicating frames every now and then or having minor
a/v sync problems, -noskip and/or -mc 0 *might* fix it.

If you're changing framerate you really need to allow skip/dup, but
you must in this case use vf_harddup since mpeg does not accept
avi-style 'vfr'.

Rich