[MPlayer-users] realtime mpeg feed switching

jeff han bhan11 at gmail.com
Fri Apr 20 17:46:29 CEST 2007

All experts out there,

     Need your advise for the following situation:

1. got a D-link dsm-320 hardware media player to render a  real-time P2P TV
program (realtime ASF to mpeg transcoding with mencoder, no problem with
this)
2. the problem is:
    a: when dsm-320 make the initial request for mpeg2, it is not ready yet,
so I have to feed it a static, old mpeg file stored somewhere on  harddisk
(no problem here, let's call it FAKE.mpeg)
    b: when the realtime mencode transcoded mpeg file is reached certain
length, say 30MB (let's call it REAL.mpeg), we want to switch
       from FAKE.mpeg to REAL.mpeg  (problem here, explain later)
    c: when the P2P TV ASF feed is slow, the REAL.mpeg is going to reach the
EOF, so we have to switch from REAL.mpeg back to FAKE.mpeg or switch to
previous portion of REAL.mpeg to let ASF feed catch up (same problem as b)

note: I have no problem to get all the PS information in the stream using
part of modified mpeg4ip-1.5.0.1/lib/mpeg2ps library's

please advise:

a: is it possible for this scenario?
b. do I need to switch back and forth at certain position, the header of GOP
(of course, I will make sure the FAKE.mpeg and REAL.mpeg is the same format,
bitrate etc), will the timestamp embedded in PES of FAKE.mpeg and
REAL.mpegconfuse the hardware player?

before I spend time learning and writing something to implement this idea,
please advise, IS IT DOABLE? will it work?
if it will work, what should I do between the switching of the mpeg source,
at which postion of stream?

Thanks!
Jeff