[MPlayer-users] deinterlacing quality issues

Andrew Henry adhenry at bredband.net
Fri May 11 09:21:48 CEST 2007

Carl Eugen Hoyos wrote:
> When reading the manual page for yadif, don't stop at "instead", but, instead,
> continue reading until "vectors". (I agree that this is not intuitive.)
>
> (btw: Did you read until instead? [:field_dominance] is deprecated and you are
> using latest svn, aren't you?)

> [Comments about filmdint and pullup I can't comment on since I live in PAL
> country, but I wounder if rawdv really has something to do with telecine.]

I live in PAL country also.

Well I figured out why I was getting double framerate (not quarter
speed...it was half speed).  It was because yadif=1:1 means 1 frame for
every field.  When I used yadif=0, then framerate was normal again.
Quality looks good--better than kerndeint.  I do not really understand
how field dominance helps me so I leave it to auto (-1).  pp=xx does not
seem to work for me with ci option, which, from the link you sent, is
the better option when using pp.  The others were not very good
deinterlacers.  I have not tried the others, as what is the point if I
want best quality and ci does not work.  Better to go with kerndeint or
yadif in that case.

I still get green frames.  Ok, I understand that if you do not know if
this is actually fixed or not in latest svn then you are bound to
recommend latest svn on the offchance that it is fixed.  I am not savvy
enough to build my own mencoder...I can make/make install but not savvy
enough to edit configure script if needed, so this would be a big job
for me, and im not willing to invest the time in this yet, but I will
look out on the net for others who may have packaged a later version for
Ubuntu so that I can easily install it.  In fact, I think that RAOF has
a repository where he has a later mencoder than stock ubuntu so I will
see if this is true and try that version.

Thanks for your tips.