[MPlayer-users] VOB aspect ratio mystery

Pádraig Brady P at draigBrady.com
Thu Feb 12 00:40:01 CET 2009

Andrew Wason wrote:
> Pádraig Brady <P <at> draigBrady.com> writes:
>> Nico Sabbi wrote:
>>> how can we know without log and sample to analyze?
>> Sorry, here are 3 VOB files run with mplayer-1.0-0.91.20080531svn.lvn8
>> As you can see it's identifying two of them as 16:9 even though
>> they all have aspect 2 in the MPEG stream:
>

> I suspect it was the fix for this issue:
> https://roundup.ffmpeg.org/roundup/ffmpeg/issue562
>
> So mplayer that uses libavcodec prior to r15183 works and post does not.
>
> Because this video apparently uses pan_scan properly according to the spec, but
> so many others do not. So reverting this fix breaks all the other videos.

Ah.

I'm writing a tool to split VRO files to VOBs.
What I think I'll do is tweak the aspect in the
sequence header appropriately and most consumers
should use that aspect correctly.

cheers!
Pádraig.