[MPlayer-users] [AO_ALSA] Unable to set buffer time near: Invalid argument

Robert Henney robh at rut.org
Fri Jan 29 00:52:06 CET 2010

On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 05:19:44PM +0200, Uoti Urpala wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-01-27 at 09:43 -0500, Robert Henney wrote:
> > On Mon, Jan 18, 2010 at 03:54:12PM +0200, Uoti Urpala wrote:
> > >
> > > Do you still get this error with the current git repo
> > > (git://repo.or.cz/mplayer-build.git)? I fixed some issues that could
> > > perhaps cause this, but as I can't reproduce your problem on my machine
> > > I don't know whether those were the ones you hit.
> >
> > the git repo won't complete the configure stage on my lenny install.
>
> Based on the flags seen in the configure line you pasted, you are NOT
> using the functionality of the build repo wrapper mentioned above, but
> compiling the bare MPlayer repo against system libraries only. Is this
> intentional? I would have expected you to mention it if it was. Does
> compilation succeed if you DO use the build repo?

wasn't intentional.  I incorrectly assumed that the dependencies and build
steps would be the same as mplayer and didn't read closely enough to see
that the git URL wasn't git://repo.or.cz/mplayer.git, which is what I did
use.  after fetching the mplayer-build.git, the README within got me
on the right path.

> > it bails claiming I need libavutil, though I have both the lib and dev
> > packages of libavutil already installed.
>
> I don't know what could cause that "libavutil/common.h: No such file or
> directory" error if you really had a development package containing
> /usr/include/libavutil/common.h installed. What version of the packages
> would those be anyway? If you're talking about those released with
> Debian Lenny, they're way too old (though I think they should have that
> header - I'd expect some different error later), and you should use the
> build repo instead to build MPlayer linked against a custom-built
> up-to-date version of the FFmpeg libraries and libass.

I think I now know what happened.  I've relied on the hooks in mplayer's svn
that pull from FFmpeg's svn during a checkout and build against those,
and as the method I was using git checkout with wasn't doing the same I
ended up building against the old system libraries which of course wasn't
going to work.  my fault and I should have caught it.

the build gets much farther now, but does stop at this point.  I'm not
familiar with autoconf, but I installed it because the git mplayer doesn't
seem to want to build without it.

Running autoreconf...
autoreconf: Entering directory `.'
autoreconf: configure.ac: not using Gettext
autoreconf: running: aclocal --force -I shave
autoreconf: configure.ac: tracing
autoreconf: configure.ac: not using Libtool
autoreconf: running: /usr/bin/autoconf --force
configure.ac:7: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_PROG_LIBTOOL
      See the Autoconf documentation.
autoreconf: /usr/bin/autoconf failed with exit status: 1
Running configure...
configure: error: cannot find install-sh or install.sh in "." "./.." "./../.."
make: *** [libass-config] Error 1