[MPlayer-users] trying to use mplayer with knoppix ...

Albretch Mueller lbrtchx at gmail.com
Sun Aug 28 20:37:25 CEST 2011

~
 I think mplayer should have such run time usage options instead of
having to compile them into it statically. The assumption that you
install programs in a certain static context does not make sense to a
lot of people out there and quite frankly it creates lots of problems,
just check out how many answers are like "recompile the latest version
..."
~
 Let me tell you about one case (yours truly) I double my life as a
tech monkey working as a busy teacher who does not want to walk around
carrying a laptop and is not allowed (nor do I care) to install
software in bloated, promiscuous and full of viruses Windows machines
you find in schools
~
 So, what I do is I carry around a linux/Debian-based live CD and a
USB-powered microdrive and most admin people understand you are not
"installing" anything, so they don't care. The con is that "you can't
install anything to RAM anyway", so the idea conf would be to have the
baseline installation as part of the CD, but include in your
microdrive all other supporting data your may need, such as codecs,
and the data you are using (videos and presentations) or editing
(documents, code, database data feeds, ...)
~
 I hope mplayer developers would pay attention to my RFE
~
 Thank you
 lbrtchx