[MPlayer-users] Crash on DivX with two threads and certain options

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Sat Sep 17 16:46:59 CEST 2011

On Fri, Sep 16, 2011 at 11:22:27PM +0100, Mikhail Ramendik wrote:
> This happened with a late July build and continues with a build from
> source updated about an hour ago. This originated as a crash reported
> by smplayer when playing a DivX file but not an h.264 file, but I have
> narrowed the issue down to a few settings.
>
> mplayer divx_file.avi -slices -lavdopts threads=2 -vo gl = crash
> (segfault)! Output log attached.
>
> mplayer h264_file.mkv -slices -lavdopts threads=2 -vo gl = no crash,
> plays, no error messages
>
> mplayer divx_file.avi -slices -lavdopts threads=2 -vo xv = no crash,
> plays, although there is a single error message: [VD_FFMPEG] DRI
> failure.
>
> mplayer divx_file.avi  -lavdopts threads=2 -vo gl = as above (no
> crash, plays, error message)
>
> mplayer divx_file.avi -slices -vo gl = no crash, plays, no error messages
>
> While I have now made smplayer work by disabling slices, this still
> seems like a problem in the threaded version?

Yes, slices has often issues because that feature is not properly tested
in FFmpeg itself.
Can you link to a specific divx file (e.g. from samples.mplayerhq.hu)?
A gdb backtrace is also very useful.
I'll try to look into it somewhen, but in principle avoiding -slices is
a good idea unless the extra performance is really needed.