[MPlayer-users] ALSA device mangling rules?

Christian Jaeger chrjae at gmail.com
Sun Mar 2 13:27:17 CET 2014

PS. I originally assumed (and still hope) that the ALSA device strings
had been standardized by the ALSA project, so that what aplay -L shows
could be passed to other programs verbatim (like for aplay -D). Is
that wrong? It seems like mplayer does not simply mangle/unmangle the
device string, but really have its own format to parse it, which is
badly explained in the man page and not fully explained by you either.
Perhaps the format can be better explained by saying what goes where
in terms of the ALSA C api? Anyone? I'd love these things to be
documented properly.